Kenworth was founded by Frederick Kent and Edgar Worthington in 1923. Before the company was known as Gerlinger Motor Car Works, founded and leaded by the
brothers George T. and Louis Gellinger in 1912. This company was producing trucks with a 6 cylinder engine in 1914 already. Because the business was bad, the company was sold
in 1917 to Edgar Worthington, he continued the company with his friend Kent. In 1933 the first truck with diesel engine was shown. After the dead of the main director in 1944,
the company was overtaken by PACCAR. The company is now still owned by PACCAR, also owner of DAF and Peterbild.