Saurer was founded in 1888 by Adolph Saurer in Arbon (CH). In 1903 the first truck was built. Saurer was a predecessor in the development of diesel engines,
Saurer sold many of them to other truck manufacturers. In 1975 Iveco took over the engine devision of Saurer. Saurer built the last commercial trucks in 1984, the last military
truck was built in 1997.